Day Sixteen: Going back to Jane Austen's time...

This might have been my best blog post yet, full of great information about Bath and lots of pictures. And then somehow I deleted it and there is no way to retrieve it. I've tried multiple times. So I'm going to work on it but I don't think it's going to be finished today. I've managed to upload all the pictures again but I don't have the time right now to fill it all in, plus I'm so frustrated that I deleted it I just need to put it away for a little while!
_________________________________________________________________________________


Today we visited Bath, England. "The city became a spa with the Latin name Aquae Sulis ("the waters of Sulis") c. AD 60 when the Romans built baths and a temple in the valley of the River Avon,[3] although oral tradition suggests that the hot springs were known before then.[4] It became popular as a spa town during the Georgian era, leaving a heritage of Georgian architecture crafted from Bath Stone" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath,_Somerset). Two of Jane Austen's books, Northanger Abbey and Persuasion, take place, at least partly in Bath; and its like stepping into her novel when you visit. The regency era is all around you.

We got our tickets for the hop on hop off bus and started our adventure in the city at the Roman Baths. Bath is actually a pretty small city, that is probably walkable for most people, but the bus was a good option for me, it dropped us off at the front door of most of the sites we saw today.


Roman Baths




The Pump Room


Pulteney Bridge



The Royal Crescent


The Circus





The Assembly Rooms




Bath Fashion Museum




Jane Austen Center







Bath Abbey






Jamie Oliver's Italian Restaurant









Old Road Tavern and Fish and Chips






Catch up on all the days:

one year ago    Day One     Day Two    Day Three    Day Four    Day Five    Day Six    Day Seven










Comments